Thursday, November 13, 2008

Another side to the media


Following on from my post the other day, where I mentioned how negative the media can be about markets, they can also be most helpful to business!

Years ago I remember how popular a particular heart shape pendant became when worn by the barmaid in Coronation St (popular UK soap for those from abroad who don't know it.) I became inundated with requests for the same style.

This only happens once in a blue moon and as a buyer I am always careful not to get too carried away by any particular craze which can literally die as quickly as it comes in and you don't want to end up with a load of stock you can't sell. It's a tricky balance.

More recently I happened to switch on GMTV only to view a fashion feature on scarves. Naturally I was delighted that they did my job for me in telling folk what a brilliant accessory scarves are, how they can brighten and add style to any outfit as well as all the usual practical uses (such as keeping warm, hiding upper arms, protecting a neck/shoulder prone to stiffness.)

A few days later I overheard a Northern lady on my stall remark to her friends about the GMTV fashion feature as she noticed our display of scarves. A positive mention for a product on national TV makes a big difference to sales. So thanks GMTV! It makes up a little bit for past negative comments on 'dodgy market traders'.

Another benefit of TV is that a lot of news presenters are of course up to the minute with their fashion and have been wearing costume jewellery. I often hear "ooh that's just like a necklace I saw on that girl from Anglia News the other day, or BBC Look East." Free advertising is magic and much needed!

For fabulous costume jewellery in Norfolk visit the Myriad Life Jewellery & Scarf Stall at Fakenham Auction Site market every Thursday, Diss every Friday and Sheringham Saturday. We are at these markets all year round ready to offer friendly personal service, try on the jewellery (excluding earrings for pierced ears) or scarf you like before you buy - we have a mirror handy!


No comments: