Sunday, August 8, 2010

August on Norfolk markets..


So much for carnival week, the rain was hammering down so hard on Wednesday it would have been crazy to try to set up. Besides, the noisy funfair makes it difficult to trade. Whatever we do, Sheringham carnival week never seems to work for the market though logically it should.

As is typical, there is always some idiot who tries to tell you the rain cleared off after you've driven away. Well I know a trader who lives locally and it didn't, so there!

Never mind, a day at Fakenham Market is always sure to make you laugh (usually ironically). We get all the characters there. My stall is next to the pet stall which occasionally means someone walks in to my stall clutching bird seed they want to pay for. Being a jewellery stall I always am wondering how they came to the conclusion somehow we operate the pet stall too!

This week an elderly lady on a zimmer frame stopped by my stall, leant across a table and started to light up her cigarette (obviously seeing it as a way to keep out of the breeze.) I had to tell her it is illegal now to smoke in an enclosed space, aside from the fact I don't want fag ash all over my lovely jewellery and velveteen cloth. She ambled off muttering.

And if they aren't using the stall as a place to light up a fag, pay for pet seed or shelter from showers, they will use it as a phone booth. A gentleman (I'll use the polite term) a few weeks ago, walked into the stall and leant on one of the tables while chattering into his mobile, oblivious to that fact that it's a market stall not a telephone box. I'll give you a clue - IT'S NOT RED!

Diss Market on the other hand attracts a whole different crowd. We get a lot of friendly locals and lovely regulars but at this time of year quite a few oddities hop off the train too. It all makes for interesting viewing. We get the whole range of fashions on view as we enjoy our morning coffees.

August this year has got off to a wet start so hopefully the sun will be kind to us again soon. I hope so because I've got a whole lot of lovely jewellery and scarves to sell and I want the holidaymakers and locals alike to be able to come out and enjoy them. If the weather remains difficult though, you can always visit our new website www.myriadlifejewellery.co.uk. After all a spot of poor weather should never spoil retail therapy!

No comments: